Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Librarian Is Reading....


The Reader (1910) by postaletrice
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License
In an email today from Library Media Connection (LMC)  (ok, an ad!) I found this great idea:


The Librarian is Reading _________!


Put a laminated sign on the checkout counter that lists the book you are currently reading, the author’s name, and an invitation to ask about the book. I started off with the third book in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares. It has led to lots of discussions about the series such as "I didn’t even know there were three books." (Imagine their surprise when I reveal that there are four!) We’ve talked about the movies and how they compare with the books, which often leads to discussions about other books with movies. Several language arts teachers in my building have adapted the idea and have a similar sign on their classroom doors. It’s a great conversation starter.

Staci Bumgarner
River Bend Middle School
Claremont, North Carolina


(I know the picture is weird, but I kind of love it. Got your attention, didn't it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment